The days are bright and sunny, it’s April and we are all thinking of the month ahead and hoping for a repeat for last year’s fabulous warm weather.
However, although spring is definitely here, there is still a nip in the air, particularly in the early mornings and evenings. It’s what I call fashion limbo. For some women, they love it and can’t want to get out of their winter clothes and into their white linens whilst for others, dressing for warm weather fills them with dread.
So, we thought we’d give you just a few tips on how to take your wardrobe from the dreary days of winter into sunny spring!
- Add colour – our winter clothes tends to be duller and darker, so how about teaming your basics with some new lighter, brighter pieces to add a splash! Colour can really change a mood and the shops are awash with gorgeous mango, reds, orange, blue (every shade imaginable) and of course white. Mixing up your colour will ‘lighten’ your whole look. If you’re not sure what colours suit you best click here for details on colour analysis.
- Your accessories are a great way of changing your look. You could opt for a scarf in a bright colour and light-weight fabric to freshen your look. This can be worn loosely or more snugly depending on the temperature.
- Adding a bag that’s not black is another great way of updating your look. There is a huge array of bags in every colour and style in the shops at the moment and you don’t have to break the bank to add something really fun and ‘Summery’.
- Layers (keep the layers fine) are a great way of adding or shedding depending on whether or not you feel the cold. Lighter weight knits (either teamed with classic trousers or jeans) are a great way or transitioning into Spring/Summer. You can wear a cami or a thermal underneath depending on your body temperature.
- Ditch the black knee-boots and opt instead for an ankle boot or shoe. And, how about showing some ankle skin. Many women will be delighted to hear that lower heeled shoes and flat shoes were all over the catwalks for Spring Summer 2014, so there’s no excuse – stylish and comfortable all in one go!
- Time to get rid of the winter coat and look at what you have in your wardrobe in terms of a lighter-weight coat or jacket. Opt for a neutral colour for Spring/Summer – pewter, stone, taupe, grey depending on what you have in your wardrobe already. If you have neutrals then go for a splash of colour.
- Wearing flesh or skin coloured hosiery and leaving the safety of the black opaques will lighten your look with any skirt or dress.
- Perhaps it’s time to look at your make-up. Have you been wearing darker lipstick for winter? Opt for a lighter brighter lipstick (make sure the shade suits you) or even go for a gloss depending on your preference.
- There is nothing that will update your look more that a new hair-style. You might consider adding some high-lights or low-lights to give you that added lift.
- Finally, many women dread the thoughts of the added grooming that’s needed when having to expose that bit of extra flesh for the summer months. Decide on what works best for you in terms of waxing, shaving, moisturising, fake-tanning (or not) – the trick is to keep it simple and give yourself the time (if you can) to spend on yourself. It will be time well spent. Because you’re worth it! Have fun and enjoy the sun!